Re: Drafts Back in Time

Subject: Re: Drafts Back in Time
From: Carol Gilbert <cgilbert -at- cal -dot- berkeley -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 09:57:51 -0700

I have tried most of the postings already sent and have a couple of comments:

1. I hated group reviews. The reviewers came unprepared and spent more time on trivia and not content issues. They thought they were pretty funny too.

2. I used the statement with delivery of the doc "Failure to return the review by the due date implies approval of the content."

3. There are often more people in the review cycle than need to be. Some of them are on the list just to satisfy ego (theirs not mine!). I usually know whose feedback I really need or want. As long as I get that, I let #2. stand. Of course, often my boss is the one who hasn't had time to read it. Then I am kind of stuck.

4. I Email reminders or cajole when I meet reviewers in the hall or break room who haven't completed proofreading. Note: I tried to give them a heads-up as to when I would be giving them something to review.

5. Most of the time with the SMEs, they are under the gun to complete their projects and I understand why my deadline is secondary to them. On the other hand, by documenting their work, I frequently uncover problems or bugs which I report to the system and frankly they usually appreciate that. It makes us part of each other's processes.

6. Chocolate or other rewards to those who comply sometimes helps. Our company had a reward system and all of the managers could pass out phony money that could be saved for very nice prizes. I could at least provide "cash" to the cooperative people. I have to say I resented going out of pocket for rewards for getting others to do a job they should have been doing.

7. You could try posting a "Hall of Fame" - "Hall of Shame" outside of your cube or office. Might not make you very popular though.
-Carol Gilbert

Do you all have any tips/tricks for getting your drafts back on time from
the (way too) many people who have to edit them? This is a real problem in
this company. <snip>

Amber Young
Technical Writer
Pride Mobility Products Corp.

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com