Advice on using Word to generate index

Subject: Advice on using Word to generate index
From: "Kate Robinson" <KRobinson -at- synergissystems -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 16:59:18 -0700

I'm familiar with the process. I'm familiar with the concepts. I'm
familiar with indexes and indexing in general. The Word Help is even,
for once, pretty straightforward.

But what I haven't done is to actually use Word to generate an index
from scratch. As a scarred Microsoft Office veteran hovering over the
PERFECT 140-page manual I just created, I'm afraid.

So I'm looking for general advice, like "Abandon hope all ye who enter
here." Or, "Works well, as long as you fribbage the grommand before you
wibble the braggish, which the documentation doesn't tell you." Or even,
"Don't go there, but try Acme Low-Suds Lemon-Scented Indexizer instead."

I just don't want to suffer like, say, the unfortunate naif who expects
a Word master document to work as advertised, if I can help it.

I throw myself upon your mercy and wisdom.

(FYI, I did search the TECHWR-L archives. Not much there, although I do
now know how to get rid of ghost entries when re-indexing an older
document. In case I ever need to.)

KATE ROBINSON
Senior Technical Writer
SYNERGIS SYSTEMS