Presenting oversize diagrams in printed documentation

Subject: Presenting oversize diagrams in printed documentation
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 11:22:46 -0400

Hi, guys...I'm at the stage where I'm starting to assemble my Design
Document for presentation. I have a section for processes, where I'm
incorporating the diagrams that I'm been creating in Visio.

The entire document is 11X17. My manager liked it and it makes it easer for
me to include diagrams and tables. However, some of the diagrams are rather
large.

What I'm doing is reference the Visio as a reduced 11X17 size in the first
page of each process section. Some are scaled OK and some are too small to
be read by anyone who's eyes are older than late 20s. Therefore, I then want
to print the diagram full size and include it at the end of the section as a
pullout.

Does anyone have any tips and tricks on how they've done this effectively?
Most of the diagrams are 11X17 landscape, 2 across and 4-6 down...in other
words, 28 inches across, though a couple or 3 across.

One way I'm considering is numbering the pages in a zigzag, 1, 2, 3 across,
next row, 4, 5, 6 across, and putting them in as separate 11X17, another way
is only taping the rows together so that they can be unfolded, but then ya
loose the continuity when the process goes to the next row.

OTOH, would it be OK to have a single foldout 2 across X 6 down?

Comments

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream
of things that never were, and ask why not?"
-----Robert Francis Kennedy, 1968 presidential campaign

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com