Switching HTML Help files on the fly: caching problems?

Subject: Switching HTML Help files on the fly: caching problems?
From: Derk Ederveen <derke -at- accountview -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 14:22:16 +0200

We have an application, built in Microsoft FoxPro, with an online language switch. The user can select e.g. "Language/English" or "Language/Dutch" to switch the interface language without leaving the application.

We're having trouble switching the help file as well. Steps:
1. Start application (default language, e.g. Dutch)
2. press F1 => HTML Help file opens (slowly) in Dutch
3. Select Language/English (everything now in English)
4. press F1 => HTML Help file opens (quickly) in Dutch
If step 2 is not performed, step 4 opens the English help file.

The underlying calls are correct: first to file avwin.chm in subdirectory NL, then to the same file in subdirectory UK. In case it matters: we use modular help, the avwin.chm is the 'hub' for some 10 underlying help files.

What are we doing wrong? Is there a way to force re-initialisation of the help file or to clear the cache? We do need to use equal file names for the various languages though.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this one. Please contact me directly, I will summarize to the list.

Derk Ederveen

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com