RE: Netscape-safe palette - a thing of the past?

Subject: RE: Netscape-safe palette - a thing of the past?
From: "Rob Partridge" <rob -at- holly -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:14:09 +1000

Hi Keith,

I remember the palette being used and promoted because of rendering
problems with browsers. There was a mismatch between rendering a gif of
a particular colour and the web browsers' rendition of that same colour.
The theory was that if you created a gif of a particular solid RGB
colour, and placed it in a table cell with the same background colour,
if you didn't choose the colour from the websafe palette, there will be
a difference in colour between the gif and the cell on some
browser/platform combinations.

I don't know if these problems have been corrected but I see more and
more sites nowadays with wider colour spaces. Perhaps with careful
design and the use of transparent gifs instead of solid colour ones,
designers have learned to avoid the problem.

Rob