Re: Wow

Subject: Re: Wow
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 15:24:06 -0700 (PDT)

Amber, I hope you hang on here.

This list is not one of those utopian grass-roots free-speech
newsgroups from the early days of the Internet, although sometimes it
can be mistaken for one.

This is a commercial businesss based on a single topic, which has
proved strong enough of an idea to survive and apparently prosper. If
that topic gets lost or muddled in the random nonsense that usually
overtakes lists, then the business doesn't work anymore... you lose a
forum, and Eric loses the business. Or if something truly offensive
gets posted and generates bad publicity -- that's bad too.

That's why he has to react when posts get too OT. It's really not
personal, although I'm sure it feels that way.

There are lots of unmoderated lists, but you wouldn't want to use them.
We're all here precisely because of the laid-back but effective
moderation.

Personally, I've gotten away with murder, but even I hold back
sometimes. My draft folder is full of crap I composed and didn't send.
You can all thank me *off-list* :-)

Also, don't forget everything posted to this list will be in Google (or
whoever buys them) forever. And will eventually be linked to OTHER
records connected to your name.

Anyway, it's best not to send messages as soon as you compose them.
Believe me, I know :-)

On the other hand, there is clearly a huge demand for OT communication
among the members of this group. This is a BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY for
somebody.

Mike O.

http://calendar.yahoo.com

applications, including Net.