Re: Techwriting after the boom

Subject: Re: Techwriting after the boom
From: "Maurice Smith" <moesmith88 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 11:06:12 -0700

Every day I hear terrible news about the economy and how the job market
is but I was not aware of how it is for tech writers. And also how it
differs by region.

Any of you who know, can you write?

Barbara

Well, writing from personal exp. (As I can do no other writing these days, it seems) I've been out of work since Oct. 2001, when my company went thru some major down-sizing. I was living in Vancouver, BC at the time and moved to Seattle, several months later, where I've been living and looking ever since. I subscribe to all the major job boards (Monster, Dice, JobSeeker, Flipdog, etc, etc); I also maintain a weekly correspondence with several recruiters in the area and they all tell me the same thing "That there are very few open writing positions."

There just isn't a whole lot out there and I've been thinking of just giving up on the writing thing and looking at something else as a career...one can only take so much rejection before giving up...

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com