RE: Techwriting after the boom

Subject: RE: Techwriting after the boom
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 08:45:12 -0700 (PDT)

It all depends on location, industry, and market
saturation. Areas like Boston and NYC have a ton of
candidates looking, so competition is heavy. The
internet software market is virtually dead with regard
to open positions, and areas that were heavy in that
industry back in the late 1990's now have many
unemployed techies looking for work.

I'm with you though, as I'm fortunate to be in an area
with low candidate saturation and a diverse set of
industries to choose from.

--- France Baril <France -dot- Baril -at- ixiasoft -dot- com> wrote:
> Ok, now I keep hearing you guys complaining about
> the market all the time. So I have to ask you...
> When you say rates are going down, how much are you
> talking about? You can answer in $ or %, I just want
> a rough idea. When you say they are fewer jobs, do
> you mean you have to look for one as opposed to
> having offers fall from the sky, or that you cannot
> find one?
>
> I'm asking because I have not had any other job that
> paid better than technical writing, and I have not
> seen a field in which it was easier to find a job
> quickly. I even refuse work as I feel having a full
> time job is quite enough. Even when I was a
> programmer I found life harder than now!
>
> Am I lucky or am I just not expecting enough?

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

http://calendar.yahoo.com