Re: Writer vs Author (was Techwriting after the boom)

Subject: Re: Writer vs Author (was Techwriting after the boom)
From: "Klasovsky, Nick" <nklasovsky -at- nordson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 09:33:31 -0400

>From the American Heritage College Dictionary:

Author: 1.a. The original writer of a literary work. b. One who writes
professionally. 2. An originator or creator. 3. Author. God. authored,
authoring, authors: To assume responsibility for the content of (a published
or an unpublished text.)

Authorship: 1. The act, fact, or occupation of writing. 2. Source or origin,
as of a book or idea.

Editors are defined as those who edit, or who write editorials.

By these definitions, technical writers are the authors of the documents
they write. Most of the manuals I have written in the last 22 years I wrote
from scratch, using nothing but a pile of blueprints and bills of material
and a lot of hands-on research. If I am not the author of my documents, then
who is?

Nick Klasovsky
Senior Technical Writer
Nordson Corporation
Amherst, Ohio
nklasovsky -at- nordson -dot- com

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com