influence and value

Subject: influence and value
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 08:15:28 -0700 (PDT)

> Understanding the product information needs of the
> audience, and knowing how to satisfy those needs --
> that to me sums up what distinguishes the technical
> communicator from any other role in the technical
> sector. The better we are at making our employers
> understand and appreciate this role, the better off
> we'll be as a profession.

The best and only way to "make" someone understand and
appreciate your role is through example. You need to
plan where you want to be, scope where you are, feel
out the environment, and plan your steps. You then
need to begin to do, making sure you are visible and
that the goal toward which you are working is not only
visible but can be seen as beneficial from many
vantage points. Then, keep doing, being seen, and
capitalizing on what praise and influence you gain.

It's actually not that hard when you go about it
correctly (and how you do so will vary based on your
working environment), but it does take time,
especially if you have to break through a pre-fab
reputation established by someone else in the past
(or, heaven forbid, by yourself in the past).

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

http://calendar.yahoo.com

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com