Re: Writer vs Author (was Techwriting after the boom)

Subject: Re: Writer vs Author (was Techwriting after the boom)
From: "Brian Das" <brian_das -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:47:26 -0400

Andrew Plato wrote:

> executives don't give a rip about documentation strategies. They only
> care about results. So if you asked these questions to an executive, they
would
> likely answer - I don't know and I don't really care. I just want
documentation
> that sells more products. Process is easy to fix. Lost customers because
the
> docs suck is hard to fix.
>
> Now, you can ignore my advice and perspective - many people here do. But
the
> fact is, you're never going to impress people with a really swell process.
> Results are all the matter in this world. And if processes cannot produce
> results, then there isn't much of a reason for even using them.

Why should resources allocated to producing documentation be exempt from the
rules that govern the rest of the business world?

I agree that the questions posed earlier in this thread aren't very helpful.
Executives would not (nor should they) be interested in the minutiae of a
process, documentation or otherwise. But they should demand that their
managers have a process, and that the process add value to the organization.

Working without a process might produce good results, but they won't be
repeatable. Working without a process might also produce horrible results,
which won't be avoidable in the next project. Working *with* a process,
you've at least got a fighting chance, don't you rhink?

Brian Das

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com