Re: Education (Was Re: Techwriting After the Boom)

Subject: Re: Education (Was Re: Techwriting After the Boom)
From: Gabrielle Kirsch <gabrielle -dot- kirsch -at- wamu -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 11:50:13 -0700

I had to laugh about the recent discussion of Zeno?s Paradox on this thread.
Several years ago this paradox (which for some reason always stuck with me after
my high school Trig teacher discussed it in class one day) became an important
way for me to discuss an unhappy job situation. At the time, I described myself
as always being ?halfway to quitting.? It seemed that I would never be able to
get all the way there (or consequently make any progress at all). At the time,
all motion really did seem impossible.

I had my share of inept and discouraging teachers, but I also had plenty who
challenged me to think of things in different ways or get off my lazy butt and do
work that I might have otherwise coasted through. To me, that was the real
benefit of school. I don?t think that a week goes by at work that I don?t use
some skill that I learned in college. It?s sad that so many members of this list
didn?t ever have those learning opportunities in their formal education.

-gabrielle

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com