Re: Longevity vs Variety

Subject: Re: Longevity vs Variety
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:25:41 -0600

Longevity vs. Variety? My answer is "yes".

I want both -- longevity and variety. Luckily, I have both. I have been
with my current employer for nearly six years, but I am anything but
bored. I write help files & manuals, test new software (and, by
default, usually the new hardware), teach training classes, and do
some customer support. There is always something new to learn,
and I'm usually one of the first to get my hands on the new "toys"
coming out of engineering.

Working at a new job is fun, but it is also very stressful. It's much
more fun to know what you're doing than to be the new [clueless] kid
on the block. And, there's something to be said for working at a
place a long time and knowing a lot about the products and their
applications (including job security and a sense of satisfaction that
comes from having the knowledge to help others with problems).
And of course, with knowledge and tenure comes respect among
your colleagues (if you act in a way that garners respect).

Also, in my particular situation as a captive employee, once I've
been here six years my annual leave increases, at seven years I am
fully vested in a lucrative retirement plan, and at 10 years I even get
my own gold-plated datalogger (no, I'm not kidding :) I will hang out
for at least seven years; who knows after that?

Dana W.

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com