Re: No more carpal tunnel for typists?

Subject: Re: No more carpal tunnel for typists?
From: "Janice Gelb" <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:29:45 -0600

"Mark Osborne" <MOsborne -at- bna -dot- com> wrote:

> I've had a similar problem to yours. I had numbness, tingling, and pain.
> Whatever works for you is good, but I would have a hard time using the
> mouse on the left of my keyboard. What I did was order a "mouse bridge"
> (aka "Mouse Caddy") through my company. This is a 6" x 8" elevated mouse
> pad that fits over the numeric key pad. (I don't use my numeric keys
> anyway.) This way the mouse is on the same level as the keys and is closer
> to me. I don't have to reach over for it and I'm not tempted to lean on my
> right wrist while mousing. It has worked wonders and a lot of my co-workers
> have benefitted from them too. (I'm a kind of ergonomic representative for
> my floor through a company-sponsored program.) If you routinely need the
> numeric keypad, this might now work for you.

Actually, the best solution is not the mouse bridge or
caddy -- it's to buy a keyboard that doesn't have the
numeric keypad at all. They are even making wireless
ones now for PCs, and Macally makes a 96-key keyboard
for the Mac. (I've got a 96-key keyboard at work from a
system that Sun no longer makes and I have to hide it from
the tech guys every time I move offices :-> )

I've used mouse bridges in the past and while they do
bring the mouse closer in, they also raise the mouse
above the level of the keyboard a few inches. Also, if
you do decide to go with a mouse bridge, note that the
clear and grey colors will not work with an optical mouse.

-- Janice

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com