Re: Learn a new language

Subject: Re: Learn a new language
From: "Gillies, Sascha" <Sascha -dot- Gillies -at- au -dot- unisys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:52:43 +1000

While I don't....
My dad is a marine navigator around the Great Barrier Reef (yeah, great job,
I know. He calls me from some tropical island while I'm sitting in peak hour
traffic in Sydney :).
He works on international ships where the nationalities are very diverse-
even on one ship!
He's a bit of a "character" and has learnt enough
Chinese/Greek/Arabic/whatever to say "Hi, I'm the navigator", some
rudimentary nautical terms and the occasional swear word.

Apparently the change in attitude of the crew is remarkable. He still meets
the odd arrogant captain but just the fact he made the effort to learn
endears him to them. They giggle at his appalling pronouncation but he
laughs the hardest at himself. It "breaks the ice" and camaraderie is
improved as they try to teach him more words. His working relationship with
them is improved by the personal relationship.

I imagine the same attitude would transfer to NYC programmers.