Re: Business Myths (was Longevity)

Subject: Re: Business Myths (was Longevity)
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 22:48:55 -0400

Andrew Plato wrote:

Its funny to read these posts because many people hold on to a lot of myths
about business. Such as...

Myth: Happy employees are more productive.
Reality: Happy employees with a clear leadership, a set of expectations, and
consequences for not fulfilling those expectations are more productive. You can
have all the fooz ball tables in the world, if the employees are not focused on
their work, then nothing will get done. Mostly, there must be defined
consequences (i.e. termination) for those people that do not meet expectations.

Sorry, I disagree. The issue is job satisfaction, not happiness. One can make employees very happy be paying them and not even requiring them to show up, never mind work. Clearly that is not the issue. Professional employees are people, not dronelike machines. They to be able to take time to regroup and think the problem through. They need to work in an atmosphere of professionalism and mutual respect. The ability to sit back and just be silly is part of a favorable work environment. (yes I know it can be overdone and abused.) I think that those employees who derive satisfaction and respect from and through their work will be more far more productive.

--
Peter

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com