RE: Sexist Language Revisited

Subject: RE: Sexist Language Revisited
From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:57:37 +0200

I'm generally a raving nit-picker when it comes to the "singular" they. By and large, with complex discussions anyway, you wind up with constructs that baffle even the most politically progressive mind. To back down from my soap box a little, I could admit the "singular" they (in quotes because it really doesn't exist, by definition) given the following:

* It's in wide use, and you just can't kill the growth of a language
by fiat (a new variant on Godel?). But you can resist...

* The subject matter is simple enough that you won't create wildly
twisted and confusing constructs in the process. I've bothered to
create a few of these in my past rants on the subject - I won't
do it here, so you have to trust me when I say it happens.

* You really need the pronoun. Can't you personalize with a "you"
instead? Can't the writer work the passage so they don't need the
pronoun at all? (Yeech!) Er - I mean, does the passage really
need the pronoun?

Failing these three tests, I insist on choosing a "he" or a "she" and sticking with it for the duration of the discussion - one paragraph, one section, one chapter, or one book. I leave issues of scope up to the editor, who is probably more competent than I to decide (whether the editor be a she or a he).

In Spanish there is a concept of gender for nouns and their modifiers. So mass nouns must pick up a gender - if the mass noun refers to a group that you know consists entirely of females, you can use the feminine... las alumnas (the female students), las niñas (the girls), las madres (the mothers). Otherwise you must use the masculine... los alumnos (the students), los niños (the children), los padres (the parents). The pc alternative is really quite clever... Use the @ character - called arroba in Spanish (r-r-roll that R). So it gives you l -at- s alumn -at- s and l -at- s niñ -at- s -dot- But you're still stuck with padres. And how do your read it? Larrobas niñarrobas son alumnarrobas como larrobas padres. I like this more than the "singular" they - just because it's more fun.

--
Chris Despopoulos, maker of CudSpan Freeware...
Plugins to Enhance FrameMaker & FrameMaker+SGML

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com