RE: Boeing Tech Pubs going offshore? (long)

Subject: RE: Boeing Tech Pubs going offshore? (long)
From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:37:08 +0200

Are you saying India and Chile have a right to resent the US, then?

Me, I'm waiting for management to be more comfortable with telecommuters. In fact, I'm betting the farm on it, since I work strictly by telecommute. With our work and the technology of today, there's no reason for you to let your job determine where you live. Except of course that mgmt isn't ready for total telecommuting. So you shouldn't need to move to Chile - you should be able to contract for them from your boat docked on Lopez Island.

Becaue I live where I want, I can either work less (i.e. be more selective about the jobs I take), or I can work for less. The choice is mine - to a degree that varies with the economy.

It remeains to be seen how Boeing manages their product quality. I have seen products go down the tubes at roughly the same time as changes at the doc-dept. level. I have seen other products unaffected or even improved during similar changes. But one thing does seem to have a cause-and-effect relationship... If the writers *were* a form of intellectual capital, and are *now* a commodity, generally the product quality suffers to some degree. This is simple economics - a loss of capital is a loss of capital, no matter which way you slice it. The bottom line comes in when you weigh (if you *can* weigh) the relative values of intellectual capital vs financial capital, and which one you can more successfully do without.

The only thing I could see as a legitimate source of resentment would be if the respective countries (emerging as hotbeds of tech-writing) were to throw up arbitrary/artificial barriers to us former top-dawgs emigrating and getting employed.

--
Chris Despopoulos, maker of CudSpan Freeware...
Plugins to Enhance FrameMaker & FrameMaker+SGML

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com