Re: Your opinion, please!

Subject: Re: Your opinion, please!
From: "Brian Das" <brian_das -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:32:50 -0400

Ok, here goes...

Mike O wrote:

> Why do they need to know XML, if the software creates the documents for
> them?

Excellent question! When everything goes well, clients don't need strong
XML, they just need a high-level understanding of the functional flow, which
includes the government body's XML Web service. When things don't go well,
we might expect a client to troubleshoot, and that might include finding a
piece of data in an XML doc.

> Why does your software create corrupt data? Sorry if I'm
> misrepresenting your product; you didn't give us much to go on.

Our software doesn't corrupt the data, but the Web service that the
government agency implemented is still ironing out bugs. As a result, some
XML docs that our software receives from the government agency are invalid
or ill-formed (or whatever the opposite of well-formed is!)

> Sell them consulting! Does your company have heavyweight domain
> expertise? If not, then consider hiring some. Get involved with the
> regulatory body, then *you* can inform your client when changes are
> coming.

Other people here are looking at stiffening the company's resolve and
charging for the hours of support provided. They're also getting more
involved in the regulatory body. Both good ideas!

> Now I'm really curious: What heavily regulated industry allows
> important documents to travel by email?

I was referring to my end-user docs, not the XML docs -- I throw them
together, and support emails them to clients.

Cheers,
Brian

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com