RE: New Age Doc Group Names

Subject: RE: New Age Doc Group Names
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:45:09 -0700 (PDT)

----------------------------
tgr -at- lanminds -dot- com writes
We are trying to rename our tech pubs group to align fully with our new
mission as user-oriented rather than engineering/developer-oriented writers and trainers.
----------------------------

To which I must ask in all seriousness, why? I mean, I know you say that you are trying to "align fully with [your] new mission as user-oriented" but how does changing your department's name accomplish that? Wouldn't that goal best be served by actually producing documentation that is user-oriented?

I'm sorry, I'm a bit sensitive about this whole "let's change our name" business because I've worked at a company where department names/titles changed constantly in the hopes of aligning more fully with one thing or another, and nothing ever actually "aligned." It was still the same-old-same-old horse pucky just wrapped up in shiny new paper.

In all seriousness, unless your company has the sort of culture that embraces this idea, you may get yourselves into trouble. I mean, will a CEO really want to say "this is our DUET department" to a bunch of investors?

----------------------------
Would anyone else like to try their hand at inventing a clever, new-age
sounding name (we're in California) based on this user-oriented focus?
----------------------------

I'm not....comfortable....with the implication here. Not everyone in CA is a new-ager (wow, me complaining about a generalization, how's that for hypocrisy?).

To show that I'm not a total rain-on-your-parade kind of guy, how about:

* Educational Service Persons
* baNd of Education, Rhetoric, Value-Added Nascent Authorities

"And in the morning, I'm makin waffles." ~ Donkey
Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you -at- yourchoice -dot- com, No Ads, 6MB, IMAP, POP, SMTP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com