Re: Serif or san serif? (Take II)

Subject: Re: Serif or san serif? (Take II)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 19:25:59 -0700

Hart, Geoff wrote:

This certainly isn't a unique complaint, but in my experience, the problem
is poor design, not an inherent problem with the font. and info.

Yes and no.

Yes, it's true that how the font is used can be as important as the characteristics of the font.

However, you're still limited by the nature of the font. In the case of Times Roman, remember that it was originally designed to be legible while allowing as may words as possible into a newspaper column. These goals are very different from viewing on line. For that reason, no matter how you alleviate the font with design, it's still not strongly suitable for on-line viewing. With care, you can manage an adequate result; almost assuredly, you won't get an excellent result.

Moreover, those who don't want to take the trouble to design around the limitations of a font might be well-advised to choose another one that needs fewer tweaks to work well.

In the case of serifs, I'd suggest a slab serif, such as Memphis or Joanna for on-line viewing. The more pronounced serifs in this type of font is usually rendered better on screen than the average, shorter serif. I still wouldn't use a slab serif at a small size, however.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Dipping into dustbins, scrambling for a smear,
Sniffing out a scandal: could the fellow be a queer?
Do not be disheartened by what you cannot find,
Embroider or invent if you're inclined."
- Leon Rosselson, "Song of the Free Press"

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com