RE: Handling List Requests (was Case Study)

Subject: RE: Handling List Requests (was Case Study)
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:45:41 -0700 (PDT)

--- Mark Baker <mbaker -at- ca -dot- stilo -dot- com> wrote:

> > I would not blame the poster for choices of
> > interpretation that I make about it.
>
> But surely the poster in question is a technical communication
> student and is therefore supposed to be learning how to analyse an
> audience and express themselves clearly to that audience.
>
> If technical writers are not expected to take blame for the incorrect
> interpretation that their core audience puts on their words, then woe
> betide us both as an occupation and as members of the wider
community.

Let's not get talking past each other, Mark. I agree with you that
writers have the obligation to write clearly. My point concerned how
ambiguities are interpreted by readers. Just because a post, or a
writing, is vague doesn't give me as a reader license to assume
information not presented in the writing. And if correcting a poorly
worded post was the objective, making assumptions not supported by the
text seems to me to miss the opportunity being afforded.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 05/26/2003
--I am currently at an undisclosed location. If you find me, please tell me where I am!--

http://sbc.yahoo.com

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com