interviewing "under the hood"

Subject: interviewing "under the hood"
From: dan_roberts -at- adp -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:45:36 -0600

I'm about to start interviewing for a couple of positions. I'm curious
about the list's reactions to one aspect to how I want to conduct these
interviews.

I'm a bit of a "under the hood" kinda guy - sloppy or inefficient HTML,
manual formatting in Word, that sort of thing - drives me nuts. Therefore,
when I interview candidates, I'd like to see the code underneath the
writing samples they provide. I think this will help me estimate their
"technical" expertise <sp?> in the tools we use here.

I'm sure there would be some hesitation for a candidate to do this -
intellectual property rights, the risk that I might see a particularly
cool way of handling code or solving a problem that could allow me to
solve some of our problems, w/o hiring the candidate. OTOH, seeing clean,
elegant code could make me even *more* likely to hire the candidate.

So, I'm curious to know how the list would respond to a request like this.
Comments?

dan

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com