Re: Career Fair etiquette/behavior

Subject: Re: Career Fair etiquette/behavior
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:23:11 -0700 (PDT)

Carolee Burgess wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a particular way to
> approach companies at a job fair?

Given the crowds that are likely to show up, I'd suggest a low body
block followed with a strong thrust toward the booth... keep your legs
driving forward, and use your elbows liberally.

Seriously....

I gave up on those events a while ago. But when I was entry-level, I
relied on them.

The reps have a well-defined list of positions they are looking for.
You get about 3 seconds of their real attention. Probably almost nobody
is looking for a technical writer. If "technical writer" isn't on their
list their eyes will go dead and they will move on to the next
candidate. So don't introduce yourself as a technical writer, at least
not at first. My strategy was to ask something like "Who writes your
product documentation/procedures/manuals?" Tailor this question to the
type of business. Makes 'm stop and think, instead of just mentally
matching keywords.

The crowd thing is a real problem. You need good time management, or
else you will spend the whole time waiting in line for one company.
First, get a plastic bag from one of the booths. Then go round the room
and drop your resume at every table (don't try to talk to anybody), and
grab whatever literature you want. When you're done, then go get in
line for the people you really want to talk to. Remember, you are
probably pre-registered so if your resume has the right keywords,
they'll find it. But it's still important to drop it off physically.

If you are really entry-level, say so... that might be exactly what
they are looking for, and that will give you the advantage over all the
more experienced folks.

Good luck,

Mike O.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com