RE: Portfolios

Subject: RE: Portfolios
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:44:34 -0400

> Or they're breaking new ground and need someone who
> thinks three steps ahead of the game...

This will cover several points that were brought up...

I've been to appointments where the portfolio never came up, even though I
had it. Doesn't mean I take that chance with all interviews...as was said,
sometimes just seeing you have one is enough.

Separate matter. In addition to samples of work in the portfolio, I also
have my "ego sections". In this section, I place printed copies of
complimentary emails. I place award and training certificates. I also place
reference letters in this section.

I also bring samples of each type of work I've done. Yes, I do the research
on the company AND the person. Doing an internet search on the name of the
person has sometimes been quite enlightening...found out one guy was a golf
fanatic, so of course, since I golf also, that subject "kinda came up".
However, the reason I bring a sample of all types of my work is that
sometimes, the discussion will go off on a tangent. The meeting might have
started out as a writer for user documentation, but then a comment makes you
realize that if you've done some marcom, or proposal, or network
documentation, it just makes you that much stronger.

To those who customize their portfolio for the position...ever regret that
you didn't bring a certain piece that you left home?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream
of things that never were, and ask why not?"
-----Robert Francis Kennedy, 1968 presidential campaign

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com