How Dead is Interleaf/QuickSilver?

Subject: How Dead is Interleaf/QuickSilver?
From: "Robert Plamondon" <robert -at- plamondon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:01:48 -0700

I've been using Interleaf since version 1.0 in 1985, and I've always found
it to be the best program for the kind of work I do (mostly semiconductor
data sheets). Heck, I was even an Interleaf VAR for a while. But I haven't
used it much in the last five years because none of my clients use it.

They changed the name to QuickSilver for no apparent reason, but as far as I
can tell, it's still much the same. (Where *do* they come up with these
names? The connotations of "quicksilver" -- that is, "mercurial" -- are
wildly insanely inappropriate for a high-end DTP system.)

In correspondence with other writers, we often wax nostalgic about our good
old Interleaf days, when we weren't forced to use blunt instruments like
Word and Frame. (Not that Interleaf wasn't annoying, but it was annoying on
a higher plane than the competition.)

QuickSilver is obviously still around, though, even though I don't know of
anyone in the semiconductor industry who still uses it. Are there still
pockets of usage here and there?

I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to promote myself as an Interleaf guru
(which I am), or whether that's like saying I'm great at gaslights and
button shoes.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon
President, High-Tech Technical Writing

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com