RE: RE: Motivation and satisfaction in technical writing

Subject: RE: RE: Motivation and satisfaction in technical writing
From: "GeneK" <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 25 Jun 2003 12:40:39 PDT

I think that varies depending on the industry you're in.
In my original field (mechanical/aircraft/aerospace),
50 years ago technical writers were relatively low-paid
folks who were either entry-level engineers or older
engineers on a path toward retirement who had the writing
skills to clean up drafts written by the engineers doing
product and service development; English or journalism
graduates were nowhere to be seen. To be sure, many
developers weren't terribly practiced at writing, or
management decided our time was better spent on the
engineering work rather than the writing when writers
were so much cheaper than engineers, but most of us could
hammer out a decent draft if the situation required it.
Technical writing as a profession in which one could earn
income comparable to a developer's didn't happen in that
industry until the 80's, which was about the same time we
began to hear cries of anguish about the declining reading
and writing skills of students in almost all fields of
study. I am told that it is now possible to get a degree
in engineering without having to take the two years of
English, one year of history and one year of humanities
electives I had to take to get my BSME.

Gene Kim-Eng