Re: Frustrated

Subject: Re: Frustrated
From: "Martin Page" <mpage -at- csl -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:42:02 +0100

My stock response is
"<Fingers crossed behind back> Sure you could do the procedures </>. But I'm
faster because that's what I do all day. And it's more cost effective for
you to spend your time doing engineer stuff."
<twriter01 -at- mindspring -dot- com> wrote in message news:204306 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Hello all. I just experienced a situation, which I'm sure some of you must
> have experienced before. I'm writing it now to sort of exhale. I just got
> in a heated discussion, debate, what not, about the purpose or necessity
> of a technical writer--at least that's what I think we were discussing.
> Anyway, I work in manufacturing and one of my main roles is to revise and
> re-write production procedures. My co-worker expressed that most R&D
> scientists can write good procedures themselves, because they had to have
> been able to write a good thesis for their masters or what have you. She
> concluded that if they were able to write a good thesis, they would be
> able to write a simple procedure. But, I argued if that were true, why was
> I hired to re-write the procedure R&D originated? She answered with,
> "Because they wrote it a long time ago, and no one has udpated them." But
> I told her that even newer procedures are coming over to mfg. with
> mistakes and such. She replied with, "Yeah, that's because they don't know
> the manufacturing environment and write mistakes, but they don't have the
> time to come down and watch the process." I said that was exactly my
> point. They (R&D) doesn't take into account the different environment that
> manufacturing is. The whole conversation just made my temp. rise. I felt
> like that old cliche, "Anyone can be a tech writer, they just fix grammar
> and formatting." Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com