organizing DTD <element> and interface information

Subject: organizing DTD <element> and interface information
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:04:08 -0700

Hi guys,
I have a situation here, and I need a little help. Hopefully someone has
had to do this before and can give me some advice.

On my new contract I am documenting an application where the users do
their development in a graphical interface, push a button, and
bingo-presto, an XML file is written.

The fields/screens have all been documented in an appendix of the
application guide. But now a client is requesting to have documented
"the relationship of the screens to the XML elements."

I have the DTD and two XML output files. My thought is to simply add the
<element> name to each field/screen description. I'm not sure who the
specific audience is for this particular information. It could simply be
a hoop we're having to jump through; it could be business analysts;
possibly developers. It was simply presented to me as a contract
requirement.

Anyone have any other thoughts? My only concern with this method is that
it is very screen-centric. Should I also create a version that goes from
the DTD-to-screen side? This would be documenting everything twice...but
only going one way might not be best for all possible audiences.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Lisa

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com