UML

Subject: UML
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 09:29:03 -0400

Hi, guys...I meet with my boss today and he proposed that I take over the
management of all documentation for a series of long-term (3-year+) special
project initiatives, evaluate them, and make determination as to whether
they:
- comply with guidelines (that I determine) for document design,
- verify that they are appropriate for their purpose
- request rework on parts that are weak
- verify that they are based the most current version of the system state
- control the documentation collection from within VSS

Pretty much, manage the documentation part of the initiatives

I'm psyched..however, this isn't the main reason for this post.

To properly manage the documents for the special projects, I need to
understand and work under UML (Unified Modeling Language). I'm prepared to
learn about this...my new computer (P4/2.2ghz) that was given to me today
has the Rational suite of software installed and I have approval to pursue
educational opportunities and reference material within reason. I know I
have alot to learn.

What I need to know is this: Has anyone created documentation under the
umbrella of UML. What were the "gotchas"? What did you find out was the
biggest impact on what you do on a day to day basis? What was your biggest
obstacles. Did it improve what you create and if so, how?

You know, was it fun?

Please no opinions on whether you think UML is the worst thing to hit
software development or not. It's simply here.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com