big trouble with .chm file/MS HTML Help Workshop

Subject: big trouble with .chm file/MS HTML Help Workshop
From: "Cummings, Elizabeth" <Elizabeth -dot- Cummings -at- pearson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:33:42 -0500

I am working with a nearly 6 MB .chm file that is used by many people as a
user's guide to our product. I've been working with MS HTML Help Workshop
for three years, and while I'm going to make the full transition to Frame by
year's end, for now, I need to use this tool and users need to be able to
access the .chm file--but the error that is thrown concerns me:

_The instruction at "0x6d60252c" referenced memory at "0x00c50f47". The
memory could not be "read"._

Initially, this error came about when a user clicked the Contents tab entry
of a certain file--and no other file. So, I tried to determine what in that
file was causing the problem. Once I isolated the line of code and realized
there was nothing wrong with it, I decided to just create a workaround by
substituting a simple file that pointed to the "real" file, outside of the
.chm format (To view information about X, click this link.). This appeared
to work. I recompiled the files, only to find that then, when
double-clicking the .chm file to open it, the same error came about from the
get go--the entire .chm file is now inaccessible.

So, it seems to be something tool vs. file related.

I have a previous copy that is error free, but . . . I'm leaving on a
two-week vacation at the end of the day, so receiving help ASAP is really
important. If anyone out there has worked with this tool for some time and
knows their stuff, would you please contact me?

If you were not an intended recipient,

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com