47. RE: Okay all you independent contractors: hit the bricks with THI---S

Subject: 47. RE: Okay all you independent contractors: hit the bricks with THI---S
From: eileenn -at- the-wire -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:31:51 -0400

>Editors and tech writers ultimately commoditize information. As such, there is
>a perception, in some circles, of reduction in value when information is
>commoditized. Hence, in such industries tech writers may be seen as detrimental
>to business.

Maybe I'm having a cynical day, but I've found this to be true. Many many
executives prefer their written material complex - simplicity to them means
simple minded dumbing down. If anyone can understand, what makes it worthwhile?

And I also agree that from a business perspective, you may not want to convey
information so much as create an impression - of competence, intelligence, and
of having things under control. If the reader then doesn't understand, the
reader blames themselves. The business giving the documents is seen as powerful
and in charge. Businesses like it that way.

Eileen Neumann
Business Communications, Amicus Bank
Toronto

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com