RE: ADMIN: Civility and content

Subject: RE: ADMIN: Civility and content
From: Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:14:06 -0700

<<
If *civility* (or lack thereof) is the issue, address *that*.
Addressing civility with posting limits is like addressing teen
pregnancy with teacups.

Police (oh don't we hate that word!) the uncivil with banishment.[snip]>>

I agree with Dave. I don't think the one post a day limit will do anything but kill the list. I have been on a lot of lists and the occasional bouncing of people who do not follow the stated rules can be of great help. In most cases, there is a policy of one or two warnings before the bouncing, and allowing people to come back and try again after a certain amount of time has elapsed. This is fair to the offending list member as it gives warning in case the person was simply ignorant of the posted rules or didn't realize that they were breaking them. This is fair to the other list members as it protects them from people who consistently violate the list rules.

<<
I personally think that frivolous commenting can be dealt with on an
individual basis with one's Delete key. It's the nature of a list to
have to wade through subject lines (don't open anything you're not
willing to swallow it). Personally, I use filters on those persons
whose contributions are less-than-wise, thereby not having to decide
to open their missives at all.

The delete key will have to be used at any rate, but people who consistently post off-topic posts should be eventually bumped off the list. Since it is a less serious infraction than flaming, maybe more warnings are in order. However as that would increase Eric's workload, it might be just as well to let that issue go.

I think with this simple expediency, this list can be saved. Without it, it is likely to die. I understand Eric's hesitancy because of the perceptual nature of rudeness. I would trust Eric to know if rudeness is on the line and to give the benefit of the doubt.

You can't make people think about their posts. You can't make people do much at all. The only possible enforcement in this environment is losing the privilege of posting to the list. Posting limits inhibit helpful conversation without inhibiting flaming or off topic posts. It punishes all types of posts and their authors equally. It is illogical!

Anyway, I anxiously await Eric's decision. I hope this list makes it. I do agree there are some problems here, although in general it is a great resource. It could be improved.

Back to my originally scheduled tasks,
Rosie

Rose A. Wilcox
CHQ, 17th Floor
Tranz1 QA/Documentation
602-250-2435
Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- PinnacleWest -dot- com

No problem is so formidable that you can't walk away from it.
- Charles Schultz

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com