RE: ADMIN: Civility and content

Subject: RE: ADMIN: Civility and content
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:07:41 -0400

On the notion of posting limits, some have suggested procedures that would require a lot of time on Eric's part.

Here's another approach that might satisfy most, and I _think_ it could be accomplished with a minimal development effort that some scripting whiz might volunteer for.

Would it be possible (or desirable) to affix a notation to each header indicating the number of the post that day for that poster? (I take it the digest version already numbers subject lines, so this poster-specific sequence number would need to appear somewhere different--perhaps in brackets next to the poster's name in the From: field???)

In such a system, this would be "Dick Margulis[1]" for today, and if you felt that Dick Margulis might have three interesting things to say today but not four, you could ignore everything from "Dick Margulis[4]" on. Tomorrow is another day.

Or numbering could be sequential for the week (based on someone else's suggestion).

Pick a start time (0000 Sunday GMT, say) that applies to everyone rather than trying to key it to the poster's local time.

Then it is up to the list member, rather than Eric, to form judgments about what is worth reading and who is worth paying attention to. I think this would lead to better self-governance, but I realize that may just be wishful thinking.

Dick

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com