RE: A sticky contractor situation: no pay yet

Subject: RE: A sticky contractor situation: no pay yet
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:23:39 -0700

Chuck,
First of all, don't react until you get home Monday and check the
mailbox. Then you need to be calm about approaching them. The first
thing to do is verify on Tuesday _with the accountant_ if the check was
really cut and if so, when it was mailed. The post office could be
holding things up. ("Hey, I haven't received my check and it was due
yesterday. Just wanted to make sure it had been cut.")

Unless the owner is the one actually cutting the checks, he may not
actually have a good handle on what's going on. Talk to the accountant,
explain the situation. Only if you don't get a satisfactory answer would
I escalate beyond the accountant to whomever you are reporting.

Others will have to address the issue of whether to go to the client if
payment doesn't appear, but my gut instinct says that's a VERY dangerous
thing to do. Your business relationship is with the contracting company.

Money issues always carry stress, especially since you need the money
now. It's understandable that you're annoyed after all your hard effort,
but approach this in a calm way and don't assume the worst--you'll only
make the other party defensive and create a hostile situation. That's
the last thing you want when you want to fulfill the contract and
hopefully create a good reference in the process.

Lisa