RE: Maintenance and upkeep of text insets

Subject: RE: Maintenance and upkeep of text insets
From: "Mike Hiatt" <mhiatt -at- vocaldata -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:26:14 -0500

Hi Anita,

We basically use number 4. Many of the files had little or no thought given to their titles, but by and large most things are groups pretty well, but a few things are hard to find - even when you're used to using them. We could probably fix them, but then we have to go fix the documents they appear in and I don't have that kind of time right now.

As far as keeping track of what appears where - we don't. It may be a false assumption on my part, but that's one of the things I use text insets for - not having to keep track of where the information appears to make sure it's updated. It works for use because we have a limited set of docs at this point with information appearing in limited doc sets so we know to re-create all docs in the affected sets when changes are made to a text inset or we can quickly search to see if that information appears in the others.

I like the idea of using file information as a way of keeping track of where text insets are used. May have to look into that.

Mike Hiatt
Manager, Tech Pubs
VocalData, Inc.
Dallas, TX (yep, that one)