RE: Resume and Cover Letter Writing for a Novice

Subject: RE: Resume and Cover Letter Writing for a Novice
From: "Goldstein, Dan" <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:17:27 -0400

Cory,

In addition to the excellent and varied advice that you've already received
from Keith, Goober, Dick, Subash, and Deborah, I would add the following:

1. Whether or not you use the "T-letter" (I don't, but many do and swear by
it), I think your resume should put work experience before education.
Personally, I believe in a one-page resume, but if you have to have two
pages, your work experience goes on the first. I know that this section is a
little thin this year, but hiding it won't help. I would also try to get
about fifty people's opinions about your resume.

2. Not to get too Jakob Nielsen on you, but I would redo your Web site to
use black (or at least dark) text on a white background.

3. Also on the site: I would leave out the digital photography samples
altogether, but if you feel strongly about showing them, then the PDF format
just slows it down. Digital photographs are best displayed on the Web as
straight JPGs.

HTH,

Dan Goldstein

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com