looking everywhere for help with Word's page numbering

Subject: looking everywhere for help with Word's page numbering
From: "Jennifer Rondeau" <jrondeau -at- fabtrol -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:54:07 -0600

Hi folks,
I know, this looks like a question for a Word users' group. But it has
languished incompletely addressed there, so I turn to you.

At the following site one can find instructions for formatting page
numbers across multiple files in Word (in lieu of Word's notoriously
unreliable Master Doc feature):

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/MiscFram.htm

I have used these instructions with indifferent success; that is, I got
them to work once, for only two docs (the numbers did not continue to
update across more files without manually updating the page number field
at the end of each doc, which seems to me to defeat the purpose of the
whole thing), and since then have been unable to get them to work at all.

I'm pretty good at trouble-shooting syntax errors in my macros, in SQL
scripts, and even in these kinds of code strings, but I can't manage this
one at this point. Shauna Kelly has very patiently gone through the need
for precise syntax on the Word users group, but that is not the problem
here.

Any advice from anyone about how you manage multiple file docs and page
numbering would be enormously appreciated. Direction to other resources
would be great too. (Cindy Meister, author of the above instructions,
does not publicly post her e-mail, so I can't write to her directly.)
(Re-numbering with chapter numbers is not an option with the docs I'm
working on, just to let you know up front.)

Drowning in Word,
Jennifer

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com