RE: Need a product recommendation for installation specific docum entation

Subject: RE: Need a product recommendation for installation specific docum entation
From: "Kane, Beth" <Beth -dot- Kane -at- pearson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:34:05 -0500

Welcome to the list!

When I attended the 2002 STC conference, JoAnn Hackos gave a presentation
about XML, content management, and how the ultimate single-sourcing setup
could work. One thing she covered was similar to what you're describing:
pertinent online help could be generated on the fly, based on the customer's
requirements.

She named several programs that are designed for such single-sourcing, but
the only one I recall offhand is AuthorIt.

Part of that 2002 presentation is posted on JoAnn's company's Web site:
http://www.comtech-serv.com/pdfs/stc/2002/STC02XML.pdf. But she was unable
to post the best graphic section of the presentation, because it's
proprietary. It was a series of cartoons illustrating how all the pieces of
text in XML can come together to generate whatever kind of documentation you
want.

You might want to poke around her Web site and see what else you can find:
http://www.comtech-serv.com/

Beth Kane
Services Engineering Sr. Tech Writer
Pearson Digital Learning