RE: Anyone using CaliberRM to create end-user documentation?

Subject: RE: Anyone using CaliberRM to create end-user documentation?
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:04:49 -0400

Dina,

I haven't used this product, but I have experimented with one that sounds
very similar to what you describe. It doesn't sound as though you'll be
able to automate it completely, since these products generally handle
procedural info, but not conceptual. However, you may be able to cobble
together a process that will assist you in tracking and keeping up with the
changes, sort of a compromise if the boss decides to do battle :)

What I was thinking was having the ability to generate a new doc each time
you have an update, then do a compare and merge with you're the main
document in Word to create a rough draft of the updated piece. I find this
feature works fairly well in Word XP. Then you could just accept or reject
changes as you go through. I have an RFP response I'm working on now with
17 different internal authors, and it's the only way I can keep track!

Someone who knows macros better than I, might be able to suggest an approach
for attaching/inserting the graphics you would then need to update.

Hardly elegant solution, but might bear some additional thought. Hope this
helps, at least a little.

Good luck!

Connie P. Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
A Fidelity Investments Company
704-330-2069 (w)
704-330-2350 (f)
704-957-8450 (c)
connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause I'm afraid
that we've been cheated here on Earth" - Clint Black "Galaxy Song"