Re: How nosy are you?

Subject: Re: How nosy are you?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:04:24 -0400

guy wrote:

> I guess I do some of that -- particularly around the printer.

I don't. If I inadvertently see something that doesn't belong to me, I
turn it
face down. People print all sorts of personal as well as
business-related things.
Many documents have some degree of implied confidentiality even if the
person who
printed them isn't assiduous about picking them up right away. I'm not
by nature
an MYOB sort of person (big surprise there, I know), but I try not to be
downright snoop.

> But here's a related observation and question:
>
> I used to think I preferred offices, either one- or two-person ones,
> where solitude was availble. After several years in a cube farm, I
took
> a job in a company that provided offices. Soon, I realized how much I

> had come to depend on overheard conversations for scuttlebutt about
what
> was going on in other projects that could affect the project I was
part
> of.
>
> What says the body? Do you prefer the quiet environment of offices,
or
> the more exposed one of cubicles?

Now there, I'm definitely with you. I consider an office a real
hindrance to my
knowing what's going on. "I couldn't help overhearing ... " seems to me
to be a
lot more acceptable than, "I couldn't help reading ...."

But that's just my opinion. Others may have a different take.

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

ROBOHELP X4 - THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
Buy RoboHelp by July 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate!
Find out more about RoboHelp X4: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com