RE: environment

Subject: RE: environment
From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- ca -dot- stilo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 15:50:37 -0400

Gregory Sweet wrote:

> People tend to
> talk lounder and hold more frequent improptu meetings. I've been
> considering getting a pair of those Bose headphone that can
> create silence.

A word of caution before you spend the money. Noise canceling headphones
mask out low frequency noise. In an office setting that means noise from
motors, ventilation systems, and those horrible white noise generators they
install in the ceilings.

Human speech is high frequency sound and if you cancel out the low frequency
sounds then speech actually stands out more clearly.

The upside of noise canceling headphones is that you can play music at a
lower volume, and the music will mask speech. But used alone, noise
canceling headphones, even with padded ear cups, will actually make it
easier to hear what is being said in surrounding cubicles, not less.

Since I find background hums in general, and the white noise generators in
particular, very wearing, I love my Sony noise canceling headphones. But
don't expect them to isolate you from conversation.

---
Mark Baker
Stilo Corporation
1900 City Park Drive, Suite 504 , Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1J 1A3
Phone: 613-745-4242, Fax: 613-745-5560
Email mbaker -at- ca -dot- stilo -dot- com
Web: http://www.stilo.com

This message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the
intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, copying, or
distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
all copies of the original message and any attachments.