Re: AuthorIt and content management

Subject: Re: AuthorIt and content management
From: David Knopf <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: Dennis Cremin <dpcremin -at- adelphia -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 07:45:17 -0700

Dennis Cremin wrote:

Hi,

I am looking at implementing a content management solution for my company.
Right now we are using a combination of different elements (FrameMaker
files, Word docs, RoboHelp projects, Star Team, Intranet site, etc.) to
maintain and publish our content. We are working with accessible (Section
508) content, and much of our documentation is translated into over 15
languages. The company is growing quickly, so we are looking for a system
to help us more effectively manage our knowledge assets.

I have been reading "Content Management for Dynamic Web Delivery" by Joann
Hackos for information. I don't want to jump the gun on software or tools,
so I was hoping someone who has worked with different technologies could
give me some insight. I am particularly interested in AuthorIt, so any
opinions on that solution would be very helpful and most appreciated.

AuthorIT is a "total solution," meaning that your content creators would stop using FrameMaker, Word, RoboHelp, StarTeam, etc. All content would be created in and managed with AuthorIT. This could turn out to be a pretty sweeping revamp of your existing workflows. I would also suggest that you verify that AuthorIT provides support for all 15 languages on your target list, as well as any others you think you might add in the future.

If you're aiming to manage content produced with disparate tools -- in other words, to allow your content creators to continue using the tools that they already use -- then you are looking for a different kind of content management solution: something more along the lines of Documentum, Stellent, Vasont, and so forth.

Regards,

--

David Knopf ~ Knopf Online ~ San Francisco
mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com ~ http://www.knopf.com

Consulting & Training for Technical Communicators
FrameMaker ~ WebWorks ~ Structured Authoring ~ XML
WebWorks Publisher Certified ~ Adobe Certified Expert: FrameMaker
Member, JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Moderator, HATT & wwp-users