Re: "breadcrumbs"

Subject: Re: "breadcrumbs"
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:32:19 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: August 12, 2003 12:23 PM

> Thanks to all who suggested breadcrumbs.
>
> However, when I look at some web pages that describe this term, such as
> http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives/0306/techwhirl-0306-00498.html
> or
> http://www.welie.com/patterns/crumbs.html
>
> They're really not describing what I'm referring to. They're talking about
> the hierarchical location within the website itself, from the top level to
> the current location. I'm talking about the current location in a linear
> business process, such as buying airline tickets. The breadcrumbs concept
> displays Parent connections, but can't display Child connections - mainly
> because there can be multiple paths at lower levels in a hierarchy. It's
> not for business processes but is a map of how you got to your current
> location in the website.
>
> Will "breadcrumbs" work for my application? I don't know - it is a strictly
> linear business process and really isn't part of the website hierarchy.
> Using the airline ticket analogy: Go from Step A (pick departure and
> arrival cities) to Step B (pick dates to fly) ... ...to Step H (receive
> tickets). You are now at Step C.
>
> There are some other suggested titles, such as "Where Am I" and "Navigation
> Trail" that might work better. Breadcrumbs really doesn't make a lot of
> sense, because you're dropping breadcrumbs to the ground as you walk into
> the deep, dark woods. In my application, you also see the breadcrumbs ahead
> of you. (and who put them there? Don't go into that Gingerbread house,
> that's for sure.)

I didn't see any responses on the list. Were these private responses like
mine?

I recommend looking at material about online learning modules, because they
use such features consistently and probably have a term for it.

Bonnie Granat
GRANAT EDITORIAL SERVICES
http://www.editors-writers.info
Overnight service available