Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances

Subject: Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:55:35 -0700 (PDT)

"Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info> wrote in message
news:209114 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> The requirement that one already possess a security clearance is an unfair
> requirement. That is precisely the point of my post. They should permit
> otherwise qualified people to *get* clearances.

Its not unfair. Its a legitimite requirement. In many cases, its the government
making the requirement, not the contractor.

Just because you don't meet the requirement, doesn't make it unfair. I don't
have a PhD in Physics, that doesn't mean that a university's requirement that
physics professors have a PhD is physics is unfair. Its a requirement, I don't
meet it. If I want to be a physics professor, I need to go get a physics PhD.

Furthermore, you don't just *get* clearance. Its a complex and lengthy process.
As others have pointed out, it can take months to obtain.

> > If you think this is an important "skill" to possess, then look into
obtaining
> > such clearance. Surely there are government jobs available that do
notrequire
> > such clearance, but will give you the opportunity to obtain such clearance.
>
> No. That's not how clearances are obtained. You only get them when you NEED
> them to do your job.

Yes, you can obtain security clearance when you have a job that requires it.
So, first you need to get a job that does NOT require it, but is close to jobs
that DO require it. Then, work your way up into a position that DOES require
it. For example, apply for tech writing jobs at companies that do government
contracting, but in a different division or group - one that does NOT require
security clearance. Then, work your butt off, demonstrate your value, and
they'll promote you to a team where you CAN get clearance.

While I sympathize with your situation, Bonnie, you're not getting closer to a
solution by just stomping your feet and proclaiming its unfair.

Don't get discouraged, find a solution. Every problem has an answer. You just
might not LIKE that answer.

Andrew Plato

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com