Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances

Subject: Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances
From: "J. Ressler" <jressler -at- ewa-denver -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:08:35 -0600

Multiple people have used the word "fair" while discussing this job requirement.

Doesn't that, by its mere nature defeat the whole argument?

Compare the clearance requirement to the requirement for a college degree.

I HATE job descriptions that require a college degree...just because I don't have one doesn't mean I can't do the work. I don't go bellyaching about it though. Odds are, an employer that lists it as a requirement and is not willing to bend is probably not an employer I want to work for anyway. Far too narrow minded for me.

My clearance just went into limbo because it was not updated by the DoD within 5 years. It is still there, it just needs reactivated. It will take longer to reactivate (the pile is bigger) than to get a new one. Even though I had a TS before, my current company chose to initiate a SECRET clearance rather than try to downgrade the old one. It's a paper shuffle, you just have to know how to play it.

Sorry you don't have a clearance, you just have to wait your turn and wait for the opportunity to obtain one. It's life.

justin