Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances

Subject: Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:16:55 -0400

"Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info> wrote on 08/13/2003
04:03:49 PM:
> I am not interested in getting a security clearance for
> its own sake. I am primarily interested in being employed.

As are most people I suspect.

> In normal times, you get the
> job and THEN get the
> clearance. It is a NEW thing to require a clearance first.

Is it really a new thing? In "normal" times are there really so many more
positions open that an employer can expect that only minimally qualified
people will apply and they should just take the first person they see as
acceptable and trainable? Sounds like the times which are being pined for
are as abnormal as the current situation.

Seems to me if one of the wants for a position is clearance it will ALWAYS
be a requirement on the job announcement. The only difference between an
employer or employee market is the amount of time or likelihood that a
requirement will be modified to a want.

> It's much different. It's a catch-22 right now. Nobody in
> their right mind
> would take "a" job in order to get a clearance.

Seems like the old complaint from high schoolers and college grads. Can't
get experience without experience. Somebody in their right mind may just
take "a" job in the mail room to get a foot in the door and learn the
ropes at a company they're interested in.

> There is no method for getting a clearance except getting
> HIRED in a job that REQUIRES ONE.

See above and suggestions by others.

Apply for the jobs even if you don't have clearance. Make sure you impress
on the decision maker that the ONLY thing you're missing is the clearance.
MAYBE you'll get hired and trained/cleared, maybe you might be hired to
replace the internal employee that gets the actual job announced. Then
next time YOU will be the internal employee who knows everything EXCEPT
the secure stuff and are a better option to clear than someone who neither
knows the product/work environment AND doesn't have clearance.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer