Re: Creating Microsoft Word template - How do I prompt for information?

Subject: Re: Creating Microsoft Word template - How do I prompt for information?
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 13:28:52 -0700

Back in the good old days of WordBasic, I could have told you most of that
off the top of my head. (I'd have used *the* best book on the subject, "The
Hacker's Guide to Word for Windows," to fill in the gaps.) I did some of
this exact stuff.

You can do the same thing now, only with VBA, which is more structured, but
also more complicated.

Put simply, all the things you want to do are changing characteristics of
some of a document's objects. So in pseudocode, here's what you'd do:

1. On document Open, display a custom dialog box that prompts users to enter
information. (You design the custom dialog box, remembering to write
appropriate code for validation and error checking.)
2. Write that information to the appropriate document objects.
3. Update the fields in the document.

Note that you can also create custom objects and have them be part of a
document template.

The template itself would contain fields in the right places that would get
and display the information in those document objects.

Chuck Martin