Re: Not Sure

Subject: Re: Not Sure
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 18:47:57 -0700

Andrew Plato wrote:

Generalists have their place in some organizations. I would classify
"generalists" as entry-level and junior positions.

Or as manager who can pull two divergent groups together.

However, I agree that the term has been misused by people who want to hide their ineptness. That's why I don't use it to describe myself any more. What I've always meant by it is "synthesist": someone who can see common or related elements and bring them together or combine them in useful ways. But it's no good imitating Humpty-Dumpty and insisting that words mean what I say that they do. Using "generalist" as a pretty synonym for "know-nothing" is so widespread that my intention would only be misunderstood if I insisted on it.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Comes a heat wave, you can go down to the shore,
Comes a summon, you can hide behind the door,
Comes love, nothing can be done."
-Lew Brown, Sammy Stept, and Charles Tobias