Re: Avoid the Semicolon in Tech Writing?

Subject: Re: Avoid the Semicolon in Tech Writing?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "Janet Vega" <anutha_writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 03:02:33 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Janet Vega" <anutha_writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: August 17, 2003 02:39 AM

> Thanks to all who responded to this post so far. It
> seems that most think it is a useful rule though not
> etched in stone (as few rules in tech writing are).
> And others think it is not a useful rule.
>
> I hope I get a few more rounds of replies - then I
> will make up my mind.

Aside from a series in which one or more elements in the series have commas, a
semicolon is approriate only when the close relationship between two
independent clauses is more completely and effectively conveyed to the reader
by use of this sign. A semicolon adds *meaning* to two independent clauses,
and only when it is truly required should it be used.

What I have heard in the documentation world is that its use in end-user
documentation, especially for novices, should be rare. I agree with that.

Bonnie Granat
GRANAT EDITORIAL SERVICES
http://www.editors-writers.info
Overnight service available